The Best Beach in America Will Surprise You
Summer is just around the corner, so if you’re looking for the perfect place to catch the perfect rays, enjoy a leisurely swim or just pass time reading a good book, why not go to one of America’s best beaches?
Stephen Leatherman, better known as Dr. Beach, is back with his annual ranking of the best beaches in the country. He’s put out the list each year since 1991, taking into account 50 different factors, including water and sand quality. The one downside? Once a beach hits number one, it can no longer appear on the list.
This year’s chart-topper is somewhat of a surprise: Main Beach, located in New York’s swanky East Hampton. Leatherman said Main Beach scored high marks for its toughness following Hurricane Sandy, noting, “Considering the magnitude of the storm, people will be very pleased to see that Main Beach is the way they remember it.”
Here’s a look at the 10 best beaches in America for 2013:
1. Main Beach – East Hampton, New York
2. Kahanamoku Beach, -Honolulu, Hawaii
3. St. George Island State Park – Florida
4. Hamoa Beach – Maui, Hawaii
5. Waimanalo Bay State Park – Oahu, Hawaii
6. Barefoot Beach Preserve County Park – Bonita Springs, Florida
7. Cape Florida State Park – Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Cape Hatteras – North Carolina
9. Coast Guard Beach – Eastham, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
10. Beachwalker Park – Kiawah Island, South Carolina