A standoff between police and a man lasted 5 hours on June 21 in Amarillo, Texas. Police Chief Martin Birkenfeld, said they had been negotiating with the suspect for hours.


Originally, the suspect, Johnny Allen, 36, had been running from the police after stealing a car. Another suspect was involved but was caught before the stand-off.

The remaining suspect bailed from the stolen vehicle and bolted to a nearby home. Police Chief Birkenfeld noted Allen likely did not specifically target the home, "It appears to be random he was about to be caught by the police and just found the nearest home he could get into." He then barricaded himself inside the home and held two women inside hostage.


The two women inside the home had been held hostage inside their home as the suspect cultivated a plan. The women were used as a middle man between police and the suspect, in which they did a phenomenal job.

attachment-Untitled design - 2022-06-21T131653.492

Chief Birkenfeld gave hats off to the 2 women who remained calm during the entire ordeal, "They are just amazing people who have gone through this situation; they did an amazing job they helped keep the situation calm."


The stand-off ended after five hours when Allen decided he would try to leave that house. "He tried to steal a car from inside the house but he was unable to do so, he was still armed at that time but the SWAT officers were able to take him into custody without further injuries," said Birkenfeld.

To gain entry SWAT had to force their way in by breaking in doors and windows. Allen was armed at the time however, no shots were fired.


Birkenfeld noted the actions taken by the suspect were extremely violent and they will be charging him and prosecuting him to the fullest extent, so has been charged with:

  • Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon/public servant
  • 2 counts of aggravated kidnapping
  • Aggravated robbery
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon
  • Evading arrest

They(police) I am very proud of our department, our officers were diligent they were very thorough in their investigation but they were also very patient, its hard to be patient for five hours out here negotiating with a suspect who has taken hostages."

"I have to give a lot of credit to our victims tonight, they were just innocent people in their homes, they were victimized. but they did an amazing job of staying calm being strong and helping us resolve this situation."

Take A Look Inside the Decayed and Abandoned Sunrise Mall

More From Q92