Holiday Shopping Safety Tips from Victoria’s Brave in Blue
Thanksgiving is the Perfect Time to Thank Our Brave
We say thank you to our brave in blue! Thanksgiving really is the perfect time to shout out to those that choose to serve to keep our community and country safe.
It's with safety in mind that the Victoria Police Department is offering holiday safety tips.
Tis' the season for shopping madness and unfortunately this means tis' the season for more crimes of opportunity. You've got to watch the Parking Lot Youtube skit from the Victoria Police Department to better appreciate the term crime of opportunity.
The Victoria PD's Community Engagement Unit offers these tips to help residents protect themselves from criminal activity.
· Pay attention to your surroundings.
· Always park in a well-lit spot close to your destination.
· Keep your vehicles locked and make sure any packages or other valuables are out of sight, preferably secured in the trunk.
· Take your keys or fob with you, even if you’re “only going to be a minute.”
· Never carry large amounts of cash.
Only carry the cash or credit cards needed to make your purchases.
Remember many crimes during this time are crimes of opportunity. Thieves are looking for the easy route. They will literally go through the parking lot touching door handles until they find one that is unlocked. Don't make it easy for them!
Want more information on the CEU?
Community Engagement Unit hours are Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. Call 361-485-3808 for:
- Questions about crime prevention issues
- To request an officer speak at your meeting
- To book the Community Room (which is available to non-profit groups)
All services offered by the Community Engagement Unit are completely free of charge!
Speaking of free of charge, have you heard of Victoria's Christmas Wonderland?